• Service all heating systems and all gas-, oil- or coal-burning appliances by a technician annually.
• Install a battery-operated and electric-powered carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.
• Contact a doctor if you believe you have carbon monoxide poisoning.
• Do not use gas-powered devices such as a generator, grill or stove inside your home, basement or near a near a window or door. Generators should be operated more than 15 feet from the home.
• Do not run any gas-powered motor inside a closed structure, such as a garage.
Fire damages Westland restaurant; cause is being investigated
Posted On: May 13, 2017
The cause of an early morning fire that damaged a Westland restaurant is under investigation.
The fire at the Grindstone Smokehouse on Wayne Road south of Ford was reported about 2:45 a.m. Saturday after the restaurant had closed for the night.
"There was a garbage guy at the rear of the building. He heard popping and crackling. He turned around and saw smoke, fire through the windows," Westland Fire Chief Michael Stradtner said. "Once we got that call, we got multiple calls. You could see the smoke pouring across Wayne Road."
Fire marshal staff was on scene Monday continuing the investigation into the fire. No one was inside the restaurant when the fire happened, Stradtner said, and no firefighters were injured battling the blaze.
"It's rebuildable depending on the insurance but there was significant fire damage. It's all wood and highly lacquered," Stradtner said. "The building held up well to the fire but it was a substantial fire. It's under investigation and the cause is undetermined. Our guys are out there digging through it."
The Grindstone Smokehouse opened late in 2015 after extensive remodeling of the former Beaver Creek. Grindstone owner James Raptoplous had operated Beaver Creek for about 18 months prior to opening the new restaurant.
As firefighters were investigating this fire Monday, they were also gathering for lunch to remember fallen Wayne-Westland Firefighter Brian Woehlke, 29, who died fighting a fire that destroyed Marvaso's Italian Grille/Electric Stick on May 8, 2013. It was a fire that started overnight while the restaurant was closed. It was later ruled an arson and Woehlke's death a homicide but there have been no arrests.
Westland Firefighters were called to an early morning fire that caused extensive damage to the Grindstone Smokehouse Saturday.
WW Meeting Sep 21, 2017
Wayne FD - Station #1
3300 S. Wayne Road
Fire Fighters Assistance Program
Confidential FFAP Hotline: 1.888.731.FIRE Available 24/7
Free CONFIDENTIAL telephone assistance for MPFFU members, retirees, and their families
Get answers to your questions and concerns.
Find resoucres for information, treatment, and support.
Know your conversation is confidential.
Get referrals to quality professional care.
Click here for a recent article about suicide in the fire service.