Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
September 29, 2016
Site Search
Site Map
RSS Feeds

PREVENTING CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING

• Service all heating systems and all gas-, oil- or coal-burning appliances by a technician annually.

• Install a battery-operated and electric-powered carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.

• Contact a doctor if you believe you have carbon monoxide poisoning.

• Do not use gas-powered devices such as a generator, grill or stove inside your home, basement or near a near a window or door. Generators should be operated more than 15 feet from the home.

• Do not run any gas-powered motor inside a closed structure, such as a garage.

• Do not heat a home with a gas oven.

UnionActive IAFF Newswire
Join the Newswire!
Updated: Sep. 29 (19:00)

2016 IAFF Fallen Firefighter Memorial
IAFF Local 42
IAFF Local 3972 Executive Board Meeting
IAFF Local 3972
1 Regional Union Merger Vote
IAFF Local F-102
The Facts About Zika Virus
Palm Beach County Fire Fighters Employee Benefits Fund
Prescription Drug Savings Cards
Palm Beach County Fire Fighters Employee Benefits Fund
BENEFITS ADMINISTRATOR
Palm Beach County Fire Fighters Employee Benefits Fund

Labor Headlines

US labour news headlines from LabourStart

     
Paused
A fire destroyed a two-story home on Merrimac in Canton.
Fire Chief Cathy Harman accepts a check from Gordon Chevrolet sales manager Mike Meszaros as Sparky
and firefighter Mike Storms look on
Canton Fire Inspector Nichole Hamilton urges college students to heed fire safety precautions
“I would ask them to get a fire extinguisher,” and know how to use it, she said.
Matick Chevy General Manager Molly Williams presented Redford firefighters
with a $1,000 check on Monday.
Inspector/Paramedic Eric Alonzo inspects a car safety seat.
Family members pose with Danielle McKay, Grace Thomas, Annisha Carter and Fire Chief Jon Unruh
A fire left the interior of the Meadowood Townhomes clubhouse severely damaged.
A fire state started in the garage of a Sullivan Lane home in Novi spread to the rest of the house
and a home next door on Saturday.
Karen Westfall and husband Capt. Greg Westfall have a combined 56 years in serving the community.
Fire Chief Jon Unruh swears in nine paid-on-call firefighters
after they completed the probationary process.
From left are Robert Weiland, Matthew Samhat, John Lapenta and Brian Bohnet.
The four Northville Fire Department members have been promoted to lieutenant.
Firefighters battle the fire that destroyed the former bakery building at Eloise in Westland.
There’s plenty of hands-on fun on tap at the Novi community open house.

Paused
What's New
Arson defendant faces trial for Canton market fire
A Canton teen accused of breaking into a local market and setting it on fire has been ruled competent to stand trial in Wayne County Circuit Court. Nathan Howard Gudenburr, 19, could face penalties ranging up to 10 years in prison if he is convicted of charges that arose after Canton City Market, near Sheldon and Canton Center roads, was set afire about 2 a.m. April 17. Read More...
Off to college? Heed fire safety advice from the pros
Fire safety may not be first and foremost in the minds of college students. There’s studying to do, along with new people to meet and activities to enjoy. Nevertheless, some basic attention to safety can prevent tragedy. Read More...
Redford firefighters get helping hand from Matick Chevy
Redford’s fire department will be able to gather important patient information more efficiently thanks to Matick Chevy. The dealership celebrated the department and the Redford Commission on Children’s Issues Monday at its Cruze In For a Cause event. Dozens of township residents participated and got a chance to check out a fire engine and rescue vehicle, among others. Read More...
Fire destroys Canton home
A Canton house was destroyed by fire early Thursday, one day after firefighters doused a garage fire at the same residence, an official said. "Nobody was injured," Deputy Fire Chief Christopher Stoecklein said. Officials hadn't pinpointed the exact cause of either blaze. Stoecklein said later Thursday morning the fires remained under investigation. Read More...
Livonia Fire Department 75th anniversary
http://www.hometownlife.com/picture-gallery/news/2016/08/31/livonia-fire-department-75th-anniversary/89653616/
Gordon Chevrolet party raises $800 for GC fire
Gordon Chevrolet threw a party and raised $800 for the Garden City Fire Department. The auto dealer on Ford Road asked customers to Be a Hero, Support our Heroes Cruise for a Cause, Aug. 25. Those who answered the call were treated to hamburgers, hot dogs, brats, apple pie and other sweets, as well as face painting and an up close look at a fire truck. Read More...
Entertainment venues present fire-fighting challenges
This is a tough topic to cover, as we often look forward to large-scale events that need the large venues to accommodate. Looking back in history, there was a fire at the Iriquois Theatre in Chicago in 1903 that killed 603 people in a matinee performance at the newly opened theatre. In Hartford, Conn. Read More...
Fire department offers car seat inspections
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 75 percent of children are riding in car safety seats that aren't properly installed or don't fit correctly. Proper installation of car seats can greatly reduce injuries to children if a car accident occurs. The Farmington Hills Fire Department can help make sure that your child is safely protected. Read More...

How Modern Furniture Endangers Firefighters

Consumer goods are increasingly made of synthetic materials and coatings. The carcinogens they give off when they burn could be driving high cancer rates among first responders.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/09/our-toxic-homes/404722/

Bringing Our Work Home With Us

Bringing Our Work Home With Us Everyone likes to think that our work lives and our home lives are separate. This is not actually true. Our work is affected by the stuff that happens at home and we certainly let our work life affect our home life. This is normal. If you don’t believe me, ask the people you live with (family, wife, husband, kids).
Read More...


Contact Your Representatives!
 Enter Your Zip code:
 
Member Login
Username:

Password:


Not registered yet?
Click Here to sign-up

Forgot Your Login?

Upcoming Events
Livonia Fire & Rescue Open House
Oct 15, 2016
Station 3
WW Meeting
Oct 26, 2016
Dearborn
Important Links
Visit www.iafc.org/!
Visit www.hometownlife.com/!
Visit www.dailydispatch.com/index.aspx?dfst=MI!
Visit www.livoniafirefighters.com!
Visit www.firefighterclosecalls.com/!
Visit www.iafflocals.com/!

Fire Fighters Assistance Program
Confidential FFAP Hotline:  1.888.731.FIRE  Available 24/7 

Free CONFIDENTIAL telephone assistance for MPFFU members, retirees, and their families

Get answers to your questions and concerns.

Find resoucres for information, treatment, and support.

Know your conversation is confidential.

Get referrals to quality professional care.

Click here for a recent article about suicide in the fire service. 

Action Center

KNOTS

US Flag Etiquette

Fire Extinguisher 101
     
Western Wayne Co. Fire Dept Mutual Aid Assoc.
Copyright © 2016, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

41000 hits since Mar 25, 2012
Visit Unions-America.com!
Top of Page image