• Service all heating systems and all gas-, oil- or coal-burning appliances by a technician annually.
• Install a battery-operated and electric-powered carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.
• Contact a doctor if you believe you have carbon monoxide poisoning.
• Do not use gas-powered devices such as a generator, grill or stove inside your home, basement or near a near a window or door. Generators should be operated more than 15 feet from the home.
• Do not run any gas-powered motor inside a closed structure, such as a garage.
Firefighters from Novi and Farmington Hills responded to the blaze behind Novi Feed LLC, 43963 Grand River Ave. A Farmington Hills firefighter was injured when he fell through flooring. He was treated and released from Providence Park Hospital in Novi.
According to Johnson, dispatchers fielded a call about smoke on the north side of Grand River Avenue near the railroad overpass and then an additional call about flames and black smoke pluming from a building near the railroad.
When firefighters arrived at about 7:50 a.m., flames were engulfing nearly half of the building. Four fire engines and nearly 20 firefighters took about an hour to get the fire under control.
The closest hydrant was on the north side of the street, requiring police to block off some Grand River Avenue traffic during the firefighters' response.
No cause has been determined.
The building apparently was being used to store straw and for some U-Haul rental truck parking. The owner has told fire officials damage was about $10,000.
“It definitely could have been a lot worse,” said Brendan Stanfield, who works at Novi Feed.