Western Wayne County
Fire Department Mutual Aid Association
  • June 05, 2020


    Member Login


    Not registered yet?
    Click Here to sign-up

    Forgot Your Login?
    Site Search
    Site Map
    RSS Feeds


    • Service all heating systems and all gas-, oil- or coal-burning appliances by a technician annually.

    • Install a battery-operated and electric-powered carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.

    • Contact a doctor if you believe you have carbon monoxide poisoning.

    • Do not use gas-powered devices such as a generator, grill or stove inside your home, basement or near a near a window or door. Generators should be operated more than 15 feet from the home.

    • Do not run any gas-powered motor inside a closed structure, such as a garage.

    • Do not heat a home with a gas oven.

    UnionActive IAFF Newswire
    Labor Headlines

    US labor news headlines from LabourStart

    Historic bargaining agreement raises WNBA salaries
    Sanders Doesn't Support USMCA Because It Doesn't Address Climate Change and Outsourcing
    Puerto Rico Retirees Could Face 8.5% Cut to Pensions, in Latest Blow for Island
    Delaware General Assembly staffers want to form country's first ‘partisan-inclusive' legislative worker union
    Union workers vote to possibly open talks with Spirit
  • One resident hospitalized, 8 families displaced by Canton apartment fire
    Posted On: Apr 01, 2019

    One woman suffering from smoke inhalation was hospitalized and two other residents were treated at the scene of as fast-spreading fire March 8 that caused serious damage to a building in the Canton Crossings apartment complex south of Joy Road and just east of Interstate 275.

    Eight families were displaced by the fire, which is believed to be accidental and possibly started by the burning of incense,Canton Fire Chief Chris Stoecklein said.

    "After interviewing residents, we have no reason to believe that the fire was not accidental," Stoecklein said. "All of the firefighters and police officers on the scene did a great job of extinguishing the fire and making sure everyone was out, all while working with limited manpower."

    Pets saved

    On a positive note, six cats were rescued from two separate units during a post-fire search of the building.

    "I think they used up seven of their nine lives," Stoecklein said. "Three of the cats we located in one unit were wedged under a couch cushion. Animals generally are pretty resilient when it comes to finding ways to survive."

    The Canton Township Fire Department was assisted by units from Plymouth Township, Northville, Van Buren, Livonia, Dearborn Heights and Garden City.

    "This is the largest fire we've seen in several years in Canton," Stoecklein noted. "The last big one was in this same complex."

    Stoecklein said it appeared smoke detectors were working at the time of the blaze.

    "Management is in the process of remodeling the buildings, so making sure the smoke detectors are up to code and working is one of the first things the building department checks," he said.

    A donation drive to collect food, clothing and hygiene products will run through Friday at the Canton Crossings clubhouse, located at 8375 Honeytree Blvd. in Canton.

    Witnesses said the blaze started around 6:30 p.m. and quickly spread through one of the complex's buildings.

    "We were pulling out of the Ford Road Walmart at around 6:30 and we could see the flames from there," said Lisa Doud, a resident of Canton Crossings. "My nephew, Michael Stewart, called and told me he helped escort people out of the building before the fire crews arrived.

    "This is the worst fire I've ever seen in Canton."

    Contact Ed Wright at 517-375-1113 or eawright@hometownlife.com.

  • Western Wayne Co. Fire Dept Mutual Aid Assoc.

    Copyright © 2020.
    All Rights Reserved.

    Powered By UnionActive

    103392 hits since Mar 25, 2012

  • Top of Page image