• Service all heating systems and all gas-, oil- or coal-burning appliances by a technician annually.
• Install a battery-operated and electric-powered carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.
• Contact a doctor if you believe you have carbon monoxide poisoning.
• Do not use gas-powered devices such as a generator, grill or stove inside your home, basement or near a near a window or door. Generators should be operated more than 15 feet from the home.
• Do not run any gas-powered motor inside a closed structure, such as a garage.
Farmington Hills firefighters respond to Kendallwood Drive fire
Posted On: Feb 03, 2021
Some Kendallwood Drive residents were sleeping when they smelled smoke in their Farmington Hills home early Saturday morning, according to fire officials.
They were able to call 911 and escape the one-story home by jumping out of a bedroom window and not sustaining any injuries.
Firefighters from all of the city’s fire stations began pulling up to the blazing home in the 28000 block of Kendallwood Drive, northeast of the intersection of Farmington and Twelve Mile roads, at 1:25 a.m.
They found an attached garage containing two vehicles ablaze. Security camera footage indicates the firefighters searched the home and placed flames under water within a minute, fire officials said.
“This is an excellent example of aggressive tactics used by our firefighters to stop the progression of fire,” Fire Chief Jon Unruh said in a statement. “Due to the quick response, there was extraordinarily little damage done to the interior of the home.”
The fire remains under investigation but officials said “all indications show that it was accidental.”