• Service all heating systems and all gas-, oil- or coal-burning appliances by a technician annually.
• Install a battery-operated and electric-powered carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.
• Contact a doctor if you believe you have carbon monoxide poisoning.
• Do not use gas-powered devices such as a generator, grill or stove inside your home, basement or near a near a window or door. Generators should be operated more than 15 feet from the home.
• Do not run any gas-powered motor inside a closed structure, such as a garage.
Everyone likes to think that our work lives and our home lives are separate. This is not actually true. Our work is affected by the stuff that happens at home and we certainly let our work life affect our home life. This is normal. If you don’t believe me, ask the people you live with (family, wife, husband, kids). They know whether or not you had a bad shift just by the way you are acting. They probably wonder what they can do to help. This is especially true if there was a particularly bad incident that might be troubling you. If we don’t help our families, this is what may happen!
Instead, let’s help them, help us! Here are some helpful tips for them:
Spend time with the person who has experienced a traumatic event.
Offer your assistance and a listening ear even if they have not asked for help.
Reassure them that they are safe.
Help them with everyday tasks like cleaning, cooking, caring for the family, minding the children.
Give them some private time.
Don’t take their anger or other feelings personally.
Don’t tell them that they are “lucky it wasn’t worse...”Instead tell them that you are sorry such a terrible event occurred and that you want to understand and help.
The people we live with care about us and want us to be our best. Let them help us in the same way that we would want to help them.